I’m not Irish but like many, I celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! Every year, for as long as I could remember, I would make a traditional St.Patrick’s Day meal consisting of Irish Soda Bread and Corned Beef & Cabbage with boiled Potatoes. It would be the one time of year, I would eat corned beef (guilt-free) and enjoy the tradition with my family. Over the years, I shifted from eating the traditional meats, and now focus on ways to develop plant-based versions of recipes I grew up on. Making Vegan Irish Soda Bread was top of my list!
Can’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day without Irish Soda Bread!!
What’s St. Patrick’s Day without Irish Soda Bread! It is incredibly easy to make, and so delicious. The best part is, Vegan Irish Soda Bread only requires a few ingredients and you definitely do not need to have baking experience or special baking tools to make this. The vegan version is even better – no buttermilk needed!
How to make Irish Soda Bread
Vegan Irish Soda Bread is so easy to make and only needs 9 ingredients!
Kneading the mixture doesn’t require any previous baking skills – just don’t overdo it! 10 – 12 times of kneading is enough!
I love to eat Irish Soda Bread with a touch of fig spread. Enjoy it also with vegan butter, cream cheese or your favorite fruit spread!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
If you’re looking for something else to make for St. Patrick’s Day, check out these seasonal recipes:
- Vegan Corned Beef & Cabbage by Veggie Society
- Roasted Cauliflower with Shiitake Mushrooms & Pine Nuts by Chef Cindy
- Stuffed Roasted Artichoke by Chef Cindy
This Irish Soda Bread Recipe is a vegan version of the traditional Irish Soda Bread made with buttermilk and butter. Just as delicious but vegan!!
1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup organic cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
4 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease & flour a skillet or parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes to slightly curdle into buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour until well separated.
- Create a well in the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the mixture about 10 times. Do not overwork!
- Shape into a disc in the skillet or baking sheet.
- Cut an “X” into the top with a serrated knife and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Keywords: vegan Irish soda bread, Irish soda bread almond milk, Irish soda bread recipe