When it comes to the winter season, one of my favorite seasonal ingredients to work into my recipes is Brussels Sprouts. It’s great to have as a side dish, in salads, and my newest vegan appetizer recipe as Brussels Sprouts Guacamole! If you’re like me, you love the taste of Brussels Sprouts and avocados – why not combine them both! You can add a little more of either to the recipe for whichever flavor you want to stand out the most. This Brussels Sprouts Guacamole will taste super yum no matter what!
Look how pretty when topped with pickled red onions and capers!
Steps to make Brussels Sprouts Guacamole with Pickled Red Onions
The first step is to make the Pickled Red Onions, preferably the day before, but you can make it within hours before serving, if in a pinch for time. I did with this photo, and they turned out great!
The next few steps are quick and easy:
- Trim the Brussels Sprouts.
- Boil for 20 minutes, cool.
- Blend with other ingredients.
- Scoop guacamole on mini toasts. Top with red onions and capers. Serve.
Brussels Sprouts Guacamole with Pickled Red Onions is delicious as an appetizer for the winter holidays. It tastes as incredible as it looks!
1 lb Brussels Sprouts
1 teaspoon sea salt
pickled onions (see Pickled Red Onions Recipe)
1 tbsp capers, drained
½ teaspoon paprika
1 tbsp jalapeño, diced
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1 package mini toasts (or crackers)
- Trim Brussels Sprouts. Place in a medium pot, cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, on medium heat, until fork tender – approximately 20 minutes. Strain and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in avocado, jalapeñ0, cilantro, sea salt, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Blend until smooth. Cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Spread on mini toasts and top with red onions and capers.
- Place on a platter and serve.
I recommend making the mixture at least 30 minutes before serving, allowing the guacamole to cool in the refrigerator. You can make it hours before serving as long as it is tightly covered and refrigerated. You can top it on the mini toasts or crackers within 30 minutes of guests arriving.
Keywords: cold brussels sprouts appetizer, vegan brussels sprouts appetizer, mini toast appetizer, avocado appetizer, guacamole