Sweet Potato Rounds with Crispy Shiitake & Vegan Cheddar Cheese make a delicious seasonal appetizer for the winter holidays! Make sweet potato rounds using narrow-sized sweet potatoes. Eat them bite-sized and enjoy a mouthful of flavors! It is best to prepare this appetizer right before your company arrives. But, if in a pinch for time, set the rounds up on a platter with little condiment bowls for your guest to add toppings themselves!
Why should you soak potatoes before roasting them?
Soaking potatoes in water helps remove excess starch. Excess starch can inhibit the potatoes from developing a crispy texture and cooking evenly. Using cold water to soak the potatoes is best because hot water will react with the starch, making it more difficult to separate from the potatoes.Print
Sweet Potato Rounds With Crispy Shiitake & Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Sweet Potato Rounds with Crispy Shiitake & Vegan Cheddar Cheese make a delicious seasonal appetizer for the winter holidays. These sweet potato bites are a crowd pleaser!
3 sweet potatoes (narrow), sliced ¼ inch thick or less (with skin)
olive oil spray
sea salt & pepper
½ cup vegan sour cream
½ cup vegan cheddar cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 package shiitake mushrooms, sliced and roasted
- Scrub clean and slice sweet potatoes using a mandoline to provide consistency in sizes and cooking time. Submerge slices in cold water for 20 minutes. Dry thoroughly.
- Prep & roast the shiitake mushrooms while the sweet potatoes are soaking.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the sweet potatoes rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spray with olive oil. Season with a sprinkling of paprika, sea salt, and pepper (on both sides).
- Roast potatoes for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway. I recommend setting a timer for this. Within the last 5 minutes, top with cheese so it melts slightly.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. On the baking sheet, top each round with sour cream, roasted shiitake, and green onions. Leave about 15 minutes for this.
- Gently remove prepared potato rounds from the baking sheet using a spatula. Best served warm on a platter.
Make-ahead tip: Slice the roasted potatoes the day before, soak, dry and store them in a reusable container. (Do not soak overnight in water). Start cooking 1 hour before company, leaving enough time to prep & plate before company arrives. It can be served at room temperature.
Keywords: sweet potato round appetizer, sweet potato bites, sweet potato rounds, baked sweet potato slices
Leave a Reply