Why is it called Roasted Cauliflower Steak?
I imagine Roasted Cauliflower got it’s reference to being like a steak because the cauliflower is cut into a steak-like slab. And, with the right mix of flavors and texture, one can create a hearty plant-based meal … like a steak. So for those of you wanting to try a dish that satisfies your savory taste buds, this is the one! I combined some of my favorite ingredients all in one – cauliflower, shiitake mushrooms, broccoli and pine nuts, smothered in a pesto sauce with a hint of thyme.
Is Cauliflower healthy for you?
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable just like broccoli, kale, and cabbage. It is a rich source of vitamin C, Vitamin K and folate. It provides vital minerals such as calcium and magnesium and is a good source of protein. It has a substantial amount of phytochemicals, unsaturated fats, and essential omega-3 fatty acids.
Top 8 Health Benefits of Cauliflower
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- High in Antioxidants
- Aids in Healthy Digestion
- Boosts Immune System
- Strengthens Bones
- Cuts down Risk of Cancer
- Helps Prevent Heart Disease & Stroke
- Detoxifies your Body
How do I store Cauliflower?
Try and purchase fresh cauliflower that has creamy white florets and bright green leaves, and is free of spots or discoloration. It can store well in the crisper section of the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You can store it whole (or cut into florets), wrapped in plastic or a paper bag to protect the florets from discoloring.
Can I serve Roasted Cauliflower as a meal?
This is a great meal to make when having vegetarian/vegan guests over for dinner. Everything can be made ahead of time and just kept warm in the oven. Then when the guests are ready to eat, simply heat up the pesto sauce, individually plate the ingredients and cover with pesto and top it with thyme. Or you can present it nicely, on a serving platter. If the guests are vegetarian you can top it with a sprinkling of your favorite cheese!
What are other ways to serve Cauliflower?
- Side Dish – simply cut the cauliflower into florets for smaller size portions. It can complement almost any type of protein – meat, poultry or seafood.
- Cauliflower Rice – place in a food processor and pulse it until you have your desired texture. Sauté in a pan with olive oil.
- Crust or Wrap – purchase frozen crust or prepare crust from scratch. Cauliflower wraps are available in most markets now as cauliflower has become very popular.
- Mashed – boil and mash as you would potatoes.
- Vegetable & dip – served raw or steamed in a Crudité platter.
Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Shiitake Mushrooms and Pine Nuts is a hearty plant-based meal that will satisfy your savory taste buds!
1 head of cauliflower olive oil spray 1 tbsp dry thyme 1 package of shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly. 2 cups of broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces 3 tbsp pine nuts 6 sprigs of fresh thyme Pesto Sauce: 4 cups basil leaves 1/2 cup olive oil 2 garlic cloves 1/4 cup parmesan cheese ** 1/3 cup pine nuts 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Clean cauliflower and slice into 1/4 inch sections from the top of the head down.
- Place separated on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and season with salt & pepper and thyme. Turn and repeat on other side.
- On a separate parchment lined baking sheet, roast the shiitake mushrooms. Place on a separate rack in the oven along with the cauliflower.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes, flipping the cauliflower over once and moving the shiitakes around to cook evenly.
- Cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces and steam until tender in a double boiler. Place aside and keep warm in a covered dish.
- Toast the pine nuts, in a separate pan, for approximately 5 min on low heat.
- Prepare the Pesto Sauce: Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended.
- Heat the sauce in a small pot.
- Plate the cauliflower first, then add the broccoli and shiitake. Drizzle with the pesto and top with some pine nuts and a sprig of thyme.
* Broccoli can be roasted alongside the cauliflower if wanted. ** If vegan, use 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Keywords: Roasted Cauliflower Steak, Plant-based Meal