This Irish Soda Bread Recipe is a vegan version of the traditional Irish Soda Bread made with buttermilk and butter. Just as delicious but vegan!!
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
4 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease & flour a skillet or parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes to slightly curdle into buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour until well separated.
- Create a well in the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the mixture about 10 times. Do not overwork!
- Shape into a disc in the skillet or baking sheet.
- Cut an “X” into the top with a serrated knife and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Keywords: vegan irish soda bread, irish soda bread, St Patrick's Day