Autumn has indeed kicked in when soups become a go-to recipe for a weeknight meal. Autumn Vegetable Lentil Soup is an easy last-minute soup to make because the ingredients are readily available in my refrigerator throughout the cold weather season – leeks, onions, carrots, celery, turnip, collards, and peppers. And, I almost always have vegetable broth and lentils in my pantry as well. Combine the ingredients in a pot, and you have a delicious vegan lentil soup.
This soup couldn’t be any easier to make. Prep the ingredients and add them one by one into a large pot or dutch oven. Simmer at a low temperature, walk away, and in 40 minutes, you will be enjoying a hearty, warming soup. Even better, this vegetable lentil soup can be made in half that time with an Instant Pot!
Prep all the lentil soup ingredients and combine them in a pot to cook for 40 minutes.
The key is always to make more lentil soup than you need. It stores well in the refrigerator for four days and several months in the freezer.Print
Autumn Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
This Autumn Vegetable Lentil Soup is an easy last-minute soup to make. Most of the ingredients should be readily available in your refrigerator/pantry throughout the cold seasons. Combine all ingredients in a pot and you have a delicious and warming soup in only 30 minutes!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced (½ cup)
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, cubed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt and a few grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup Autumn Blend Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1–2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup collard greens, stems removed and sliced thin (chiffonade)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- handful parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven. Add onion and simmer until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add leeks, celery, carrots, turnips, peppers, and garlic. Add spices, stir and cook for a few minutes until ingredients become fragrant.
- Add broth, potatoes, lentils, thyme and bay leaf. Stir in diced tomatoes and water. Let the soup simmer partially covered for 35 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf. Stir in collard greens and lemon juice. Cook an additional 5 minutes and serve topped with fresh chopped parsley.
Optional: You can omit cumin or curry or both from this recipe if those aren’t favored spices.
Keywords: autumn blend lentil soup, curry lentil soup, vegan lentil soup
Leave a Reply