There are so many reasons to love the summer season. We get to spend more time outdoors to bike, hike, swim or garden. We can lounge on the beach, read a book in a park, dine at an outdoor cafe, or have a rooftop/yard barbecue. But what can I say - one of my top 10 favorite things to do is to visit a local farmers market and buy organic summer fruits and vegetables! I especially can't resist fresh organic strawberries especially in this Vegan Strawberry Galette!
There is no comparison between an in season, local farmers market strawberry and the mid winter strawberry that has been shipped across the country. Never mind the environmental impact of shipping it a long distance!
Another great way to obtain local, seasonal fruits & vegetables is to join a CSA.. And you get the added benefit of doing something good for the environment!
Recipe suggestions for strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries:
How to make a Strawberry Galette
The best part about making a galette is the dough is ready within 15 minutes and no kneading is required! Simply mix the the wet and dry ingredients together. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. Make the strawberry filling. Flatten dough with a rolling pin. Place strawberry filling in center. Turn up the edges. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Ready - it's that easy!!Print
Vegan Strawberry Galette is a delicious summertime treat! A great "make ahead" vegan dessert for a home barbecue or to bring as a "gift" dessert.
Vegan Pastry Crust
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons ice cold water
Strawberry Galette Filling:
1 pint strawberries
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon vailla extract
1/2 lemon zest & juice
1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For pastry crust edge :
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients using a whisk.
- Add oil to bowl using fingertips or a pastry cutter. Work into the flour until it becomes a coarse consistency.
- In a small bowl mix together maple syrup, 1 tablespoon water, vanilla. Drizzle into the dough while blending in with a wooden spoon (can use your hands but do not over knead the dough).
- Slowly add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough is moist (not dripping) and holding together.
- Form a ball with the dough and flatten like a disk. Place in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Filling mixture: clean and thinly slice strawberries, place in a bowl, mix together the remaining filling ingredients, pour over the strawberries and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Unwrap and place between 2 large pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough until it has a diameter of 9 inches and not thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Place the parchment with dough on a baking sheet. Score the dough by making a few small slits. Arrange the strawberries on the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border.
- Work your way around the galette, folding over the edges. Brush edges with oil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, plain or topped with frozen non-dairy ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
*If trying to be gluten free you can use your favorite combo of flours - I recommend adding in some almond flour for extra flavor.
Keywords: strawberry galette, vegan strawberry galette, vegan dessert