Roasted Butternut Squash & Quinoa Salad is another salad recipe to make with one of my favorite fall/winter squashes – Butternut Squash. Quinoa is a great base for this vegan salad providing 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber in 1 cup. This becomes a “Power Bowl” when filled with micro-greens, cranberries and avocado!
Perfect for a cold fall quinoa salad for lunch or a warm winter grain salad for dinner!
Roasted Butternut Squash can go a long way and provide the main or accent ingredient for numerous recipes. As posted in the past, by roasting just one butternut squash and putting some aside or simply having some leftover from serving as a side dish, you can make additional recipes i.e., Roasted Butternut Squash Soup and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Pear & Pecan.
Cook the quinoa, cut up the avocado, and plate the ingredients – warm or cold, it makes a delicious lunch or dinner salad.
Be sure to mix all of the ingredients together to blend the flavors!
There is no need to add any dressing to this salad (or extra calories)! The creamy texture from the avocado mixed with all of the other ingredients provides a perfect balance. But if you desire, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil can be added.Print
Roasted Butternut Squash & Quinoa Salad Recipe is a “” of energy boosting nutrition combining butternut squash, quinoa, micro-greens, cranberries and avocado! Perfect for a cold fall quinoa salad for lunch or a warm winter grain salad for dinner!
2 cups of roasted butternut squash (*see recipe link in the instructions)
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa
¼ cup cranberries
1 – 2 avocados
¼ cup microgreens
- Prepare the roasted butternut squash.
- Combine vegetable broth and quinoa in a medium size pot. Heat to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the germ has spiraled out from the grain, approximately 15 minutes. Option: Toast the quinoa in a skillet, on low heat, before adding it to the pot. This gives an added roasted flavor to the grain.
- Cut the avocado into cubes.
- Plate the salad – quinoa as a base, then sections of cranberries, butternut squash, avocado and then topped with microgreens.
* If serving cold, you can prepare the quinoa and butternut squash ahead of time and refrigerate. Plate when ready to serve.
Keywords: roasted butternut squash salad, fall quinoa salad, winter grain salad, vegan, vegetarian