Pickled red onions are so delicious!
You will be amazed at how easy pickled red onions are to make! You will get hooked on the flavor and the pretty pink color that it adds to even the most simplest salad, sandwich or burger! Get creative after making your first batch with some of the optional ingredients shown in this recipe. There's no limit to creativity when it comes to pickling!Print
Pickled red onions have a sweet & tangy flavor that pairs well with salads, sandwiches, and even veggie burgers. A batch can last up to 3 weeks if it doesn't disappear and get eaten sooner than that!
- 2 small red onions
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- bay leaf
- cinnamon stick
- star anise
- dash red pepper flakes or sliced jalapeño
- You will need 2 X 16 ounce mason jars to start.
- Thinly slice the onions either with a knife or mandoline (preferable). Divide them equally between the 2 jars.
- Heat the vinegar, water, sugar & salt in a pot over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Place your additional ingredients into the jars. Pour the vinegar mixture equally over the onions and let it cool to room temperature.
- They should be ready to use in about an hour. Otherwise, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- They can store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
You can get creative with adding some of the optional ingredients. Choose whether you want sweet, savory or spicy!
Keywords: Pickled red onions