What is All-purpose Cashew Cream?
All-purpose cashew cream recipe is just that – an all-purpose “basic” vegan cream! What I love about cashew cream is there is no right or wrong on what follows when making it. You can change the viscosity or flavorSimp by making it sweet, savory, tangy, cheesy, umami, spicy or nutty with any of these additional ingredients added.
- Sweet: dates, maple syrup, vanilla, fruit puree
- Savory: garlic cloves, herbs (dill, basil, …), greens (spinach, arugula …), olive oil
- Tangy: lemon, dijon, capers, apple cider vinegar
- Umami: tamari, sea salt, nutritional yeast
- Spicy: hot sauce, hot peppers, horseradish
- Nutty: sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hemp, almonds
Trust me …this is just a few suggestions. There is no stopping your creativity with cashew cream! Just be conscious of the consistency you desire. You can always add in more liquid ingredients/water to thin it out or more cashew/nuts to make it thicker.
When I’m making cashew cream, I usually like to split the batch into 2 recipes. I will make one part sweet and one part savory to complement the rest of my weeks recipes. You will be surprised how often you can incorporate the cashew cream as a topping or simply extra flavoring to be stirred into a soup, sauté or sauce.
How do I store cashew cream?
Cashew cream stores up to 5 days, covered and refrigerated!
Please share … I would love to see some creations in the comments below!Print
All-purpose cashew cream is a basic vegan cream that can be developed further with a variety of ingredients – sweet or savory.
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight *see notes
1/2 cup water (or less)
*1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Place cashews and water in a high speed blender and mix until creamy
- Add more water, if desired
*It is only necessary to soak the cashews overnight (to soften the cashews), if you do not have a high speed blender. I highly recommend a getting a Vitamix or equivalent!