Pickled red onions have a sweet & tangy flavor that pairs well with salads, sandwiches, and even veggie burgers. A batch can last up to 3 weeks if it doesn’t disappear and get eaten sooner than that!
- 2 small red onions
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- bay leaf
- cinnamon stick
- star anise
- dash red pepper flakes or sliced jalapeño
- You will need 2 X 16 ounce mason jars to start.
- Thinly slice the onions either with a knife or mandoline (preferable). Divide them equally between the 2 jars.
- Heat the vinegar, water, sugar & salt in a pot over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Place your additional ingredients into the jars. Pour the vinegar mixture equally over the onions and let it cool to room temperature.
- They should be ready to use in about an hour. Otherwise, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- They can store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
You can get creative with adding some of the optional ingredients. Choose whether you want sweet, savory or spicy!
Keywords: Pickled red onions