Cauliflower is working its way into everything, even gnocchi! Whole Foods Market sells a tasty packaged Cauliflower Gnocchi that's super easy to heat up and add a few veggies for a quick mid-week meal. Recipes like this are life savers because you can still work in preparing a home cooked meal with healthy organic veggies. There's simply no need to order in food when you stock your pantry well with some key ingredients to have on hand. Check out my post on stocking a pantry so you can whip up some quick meals. You can add gnocchi to the list because it's pantry safe.
I pulled this one together last minute and the flavors blended so well together. I'm not a big gnocchi fan because it tends to be too doughy for me, but this cauliflower gnocchi is a bit lighter and tangy in flavor. Yes, I said tangy which seems kinda weird for gnocchi but it works!
If you want to make your own cauliflower gnocchi, try out this Homemade Cauliflower Recipe by Pinch of Yum. It's actually quite easy, but if you're short on time like I've been lately, the store-bought brand works great.
Looking for healthy quick meal prep tips for summer?
Summer can be tons of fun, but there's a tremendous amount of pressure to cook, entertain, and spend time outdoors, all while keeping up with everyday chores and work. I can relate, and I'm a chef that's used to juggling a lot in the kitchen and beyond! Below are a few tips that I use to help me stick to eating healthy meals all summer long and still enjoy time outdoors with family & friends.
- Time saving healthy tips for summer meals:
- use pre-made store bought base ingredients where ever possible - dough, pasta, pizza crusts, wraps, broth, condiments, sauces, etc.
- purchase already prepped vegetables (in a pinch) - cauliflower rice, shredded cabbage, diced vegetables, zucchini noodles, peeled garlic (my favorite), etc.
- prep larger amounts of ingredients than your recipe requires - when chopping, dicing, slicing vegetables for a meal, put some aside to use for other recipes through the week.
- clean produce ahead of time and place in reusable baggies with paper towels to absorb moisture so it will last longer.
- re-purpose - grill larger amounts of proteins or vegetables that can be added to other meals the following day.
- practice zero waste - get creative and combine veggies to make a sauce or soup, use herbs for a dressing or pesto, blend veggies & fruits in a juice or smoothie, or add to a compost bin.
Cauliflower Gnocchi with Seasonal Peas & Greens - quick & easy mid-week meal made with organic seasonal vegetables and store-bought cauliflower gnocchi. Simply delicious!
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 Shiitake mushrooms
1/2 large onion, diced
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 cup fresh peas, cooked
2 cups greens (kale, chard or spinach), chopped
1 package Cauliflower Gnocchi
2 tablespoons, pesto
1 cup vegetable broth
handful basil leaves, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
- Prep mushrooms, onions, garlic & zucchini. Cook peas in a separate pot of salted water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan for 30 seconds. Add Shiitake mushrooms and brown for 5 minutes.
- Stir in onions & garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add zucchini.
- Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from pan and set aside in a covered bowl.
- In the same pan, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and cauliflower gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi browns lightly.
- Stir in vegetables, pesto, and broth. Heat thoroughly—season with additional salt & pepper.
- Plate and top with fresh basil.
Optional: Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese (plant-based is great also!)
Keywords: cauliflower gnocchi - whole foods, seasonal, spring dinner, summer recipe, quick & easy meal