Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day! I find there are no limits to creativity when it comes to breakfast especially with toast ideas for breakfast. If you’re like me, some days you may wake up craving something sweet like my Brioche French Toast with Caramelized Bananas Recipe and others days something savory like my Savory Breakfast Toast Trio Recipe! In this recipe, I share 3 of my favorite healthy toast toppings.
What makes this vegan savory breakfast toast recipe so tasty is having super fresh ingredients like these seasonal sweet potatoes, fresh carrots, ripe avocado, watermelon radish and herbs on hand. You are more likely to have a great day when it starts out with an array of colors on your plate!
Sweet Potatoes are a healthy addition to any meal!
Yum – fresh bread! This chunk is from Whole Foods. I like to buy it whole so I can slice it as thin/thick as I want. Sometimes I hit it lucky at the market and it’s still warm out of the oven!
But, if one of the recent adventurers in 2020 baking bread, it is doable with a little patience. Check out my Instagram post where I share my first crack at baking Sourdough Bread.
With just a little “fork” mashing of ingredients, slicing and toasting bread, topping with herbs and you are set for a healthy, gourmet Savory Breakfast Toast Trio!
Seasonal Winter Breakfast Suggestions from chef cindy
- Hot Oatmeal with Banana’s, Nuts, Cinnamon & Organic Brown Sugar
- Cooked Quinoa with Dried Fruits, Nuts & Maple Syrup
- Tofu Scramble with Swiss Chard & Pickled Red Onions
- Easy Shakshuka Recipe
- Sweet Potato Almond Butter Toast (coming soon)
WANT MORE RECIPES?
GET UPDATES AS SOON AS THEY ARE POSTED!
Savory Breakfast Toast Trio is a variety of sweet potato & avocado mashes mixed with herbs on fresh toast. It makes a delicious breakfast or brunch treat.
1 large white sweet potato
1 small purple sweet potato
2 large carrots
1 large avocado
1 watermelon radish
1 bunch chives
1 bunch cilantro
salt & pepper
3– 6 slices of bread
- Peel, slice and steam the potatoes & carrots.
- Set aside the purple potato to cut into cubes for topping. Mash the carrots and white potatoes. Place in covered bowl to refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, add desired amount of: chives to white sweet potatoes and fresh cilantro & lime to avocado. Season the carrot mash, sweet potato mash and avocado mash with salt & pepper. Get creative here with any additional dried seasonings you’re in the mood for (garlic powder, red pepper chili flakes, cilantro, turmeric, cumin, coriander).
- Rinse & dry thoroughly microgreens, cilantro and chives. Peel & thinly slice watermelon radish. Cube purple sweet potato.
- Slice and toast your favorite bread.
- Spread the 3 different mashes on each slice of bread. Top sweet potato mash with chives and cubed purple sweet potatoes, steamed carrots with microgreens and avocado with fresh cilantro and watermelon radish slices.
- Step 1: I recommend using a Steamer Insert or Instant Pot. Cut potatoes & carrots into lengthwise strips so they cook faster
- Potato variety used: White – Boniato or Hannahs which have a lightly sweet flavor & dry texture; Purple – Purple Sweet potatoes have a mildly sweet flavor & firm texture (*always buy local & organic if given a choice)
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and used within 4 days
Keywords: toast recipes, savory toast recipes, healthy toast toppings, toast ideas for breakfast