Vegan breakfast muffins are a great treat for breakfast, snacks, and even dessert. Apple Matcha Tea Muffins with Walnut Topping are made extra healthy with the addition of matcha green tea powder.
What is matcha green tea powder?
Matcha (pronounced Ma-cha) is a form of green tea that is shade-grown for up to a month to produce the maximum amount of chlorophyll before the leaf’s stems, and veins are removed. The plant is then stone-ground into a very fine powder; this powder is mixed with and dissolved in hot water before consumption.
Matcha is loaded with antioxidants, anti-aging properties, boosts your energy and metabolism, along with other benefits – check out more matcha-facts here.
Is matcha green tea powder good for baking?
Yes, it’s excellent for baking. The beautiful natural green color and all the health benefits of matcha green tea will enhance most recipes.
Another great addition: to keep these muffins low in fat and calories, you can substitute oil using my Best Homemade Applesauce recipe. Make a big batch because applesauce comes in handy to be eaten as-is for a snack, condiment, or to use when baking, like in this recipe.
Adding applesauce gives muffins extra flavor and natural sweetness from the apple!Print
Apple Matcha Tea Muffins with Walnut Topping
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Breakfast Muffins are a great treat for breakfast, snacks, and even dessert. Apple Matcha Tea Muffins are made extra healthy with the addition of matcha green tea powder.
½ cup walnuts (and pistachios), chopped
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup brown sugar
3 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
3 ¼ teaspoons matcha green tea powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup almond milk
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 apple, cored and cubed (small)
cooking oil spray
12 muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare the topping: Mix chopped walnuts with ¼ cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, baking powder, matcha tea, salt.
- Stir in almond milk and 3 tablespoons applesauce.
- Add apple cubes and fold in gently.
- Using a large ice cream scooper, pour the muffin mixture into greased and lined muffin tins.
- Spoon a small amount of topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove muffins and place them on a cooling rack.
- Use applesauce 1:1 instead of oil.
- Substitute a gluten-free flour blend: 1 cup white rice flour, ½ cup millet flour, ½ cup tapioca flour.
Keywords: vegan breakfast muffins, vegan matcha tea muffins, vegan muffins
Leave a Reply