Split Pea Soup is a traditional, hearty winter soup and is usually made with chunks of vegetables and ham for its flavor. No need for ham in this vegan version of Split Pea Soup! Vegan Split Pea Soup gets its delicious savory taste from Thai Green Curry Paste which has ingredients such as curry, green chiles, lemongrass, ginger and turmeric. The curry paste adds a unique kick to the soup without overpowering the peas. You can use store bought or simply make your own Vegan Thai Green Curry Paste where you can adjust the heat according to your taste buds. In addition, I added some frozen petite green peas for more intense pea taste and vibrant green color. The roasted shiitake mushrooms, red potatoes, and chives gave the soup the final touches of taste and texture!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SPLIT PEA SOUP
Split Pea Soup is an easy to make, one pot soup! Simply prepare your ingredients - carrots, celery & garlic - sauté it in the pot - add your peas, broth and spices - cook for up to 40 minutes - blend (or not, your choice) and you are ready to enjoy a hot bowl of split pea soup!
I chose to make this in an Instant Pot. The time to cook the soup was reduced in half - just 20 minutes!
While the soup was cooking, I had some extra time on my hands ...
so if you're like me, I have to take my dishes to the next level with some toppings. I almost always have shiitake in my refrigerator so that was a no-brainer. I added some red potatoes and roasted them while the soup was cooking. This adds a great crispy & salty element of taste & texture to the soup. A few chopped chives and wallah ... so yummy!!Print
This is a vegan version of Split Pea Soup that is rich in flavor from the ingredients with an added kick from Thai Green Curry Paste. Top with roasted shiitake & potatoes and chives and you have a delicious & hearty winter soup!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
4 white/yellow carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup green split peas, rinsed and sorted*
40 ounces vegetable broth
2 bay leafs
3 red potatoes, bite size cubes
1 package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon green curry paste
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot**, add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and sauté a few minutes. Add the green split peas, broth and bay leaves. Cook for 40 minutes or until the peas are softened and mushy.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, roast the potatoes and shiitakes at 350° for approximately 20-30 minutes until crispy.
- Cook the frozen green peas in a separate pot if you want to use some as topping. Otherwise, add it to the large pot and cook with the soup.
- Skim the top of the soup, if any buildup. Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Transfer back to the pot to heat. Add the curry paste, 1 tablespoon (or more) of lemon and salt & pepper to taste (if desired). Ladle into bowls and top with potatoes, shiitakes and chopped chives.
* Sort thru the peas to make assure there aren't any pebbles in the batch.
* *Use an Instant Pot to reduce cook time. Heat first 5 ingredients in sauté mode for 5 - 7 minutes. Add the split peas, broth, bay leaves and cook under high pressure for 20 minutes.
Keywords: split pea vegan recipe, vegan split pea soup, vegan split pea soup instant pot,