This is a vegan version of Split Pea Soup that is rich in flavor from the ingredients with an added kick from Thai Green Curry Paste. Top with roasted shiitake & potatoes and chives and you have a delicious & hearty winter soup!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
4 white/yellow carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup green split peas, rinsed and sorted*
40 ounces vegetable broth
2 bay leafs
3 red potatoes, bite size cubes
1 package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon green curry paste
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot**, add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and sauté a few minutes. Add the green split peas, broth and bay leaves. Cook for 40 minutes or until the peas are softened and mushy.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, roast the potatoes and shiitakes at 350° for approximately 20-30 minutes until crispy.
- Cook the frozen green peas in a separate pot if you want to use some as topping. Otherwise, add it to the large pot and cook with the soup.
- Skim the top of the soup, if any buildup. Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Transfer back to the pot to heat. Add the curry paste, 1 tablespoon (or more) of lemon and salt & pepper to taste (if desired). Ladle into bowls and top with potatoes, shiitakes and chopped chives.
* Sort thru the peas to make assure there aren’t any pebbles in the batch.
* *Use an Instant Pot to reduce cook time. Heat first 5 ingredients in sauté mode for 5 – 7 minutes. Add the split peas, broth, bay leaves and cook under high pressure for 20 minutes.
Keywords: split pea vegan recipe, vegan split pea soup, vegan split pea soup instant pot,