Sweet Potato Rounds with Crispy Shiitake & Vegan Cheddar Cheese make a delicious seasonal appetizer for the winter holidays. These sweet potato bites are a crowd pleaser!
3 sweet potatoes (narrow), sliced 1/4 inch thick or less (with skin)
olive oil spray
sea salt & pepper
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 package shiitake mushrooms, sliced and roasted
- Scrub clean and slice sweet potatoes using a mandoline to provide consistency in sizes and cooking time. Submerge slices in cold water for 20 minutes. Dry thoroughly.
- Prep & roast the shiitake mushrooms while the sweet potatoes are soaking.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the sweet potatoes rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spray with olive oil. Season with a sprinkling of paprika, sea salt, and pepper (on both sides).
- Roast potatoes for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway. I recommend setting a timer for this. Within the last 5 minutes, top with cheese so it melts slightly.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. On the baking sheet, top each round with sour cream, roasted shiitake, and green onions. Leave about 15 minutes for this.
- Gently remove prepared potato rounds from the baking sheet using a spatula. Best served warm on a platter.
Make-ahead tip: Slice the roasted potatoes the day before, soak, dry and store them in a reusable container. (Do not soak overnight in water). Start cooking 1 hour before company, leaving enough time to prep & plate before company arrives. It can be served at room temperature.
Keywords: sweet potato round appetizer, sweet potato bites, sweet potato rounds, baked sweet potato slices