Who can resist the taste of potato home fries in the morning! Since root vegetables are abundant in the winter season, why not make Spicy Rutabaga Breakfast Skillet Home Fries!
What is Rutabaga?
Let’s start with, what is a rutabaga? We may spot it in the market during the winter months, but many of us have no idea what to do with it!
Rutabagas are considered a root vegetable (grown underground) just like potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, carrots, and radishes. Rutabagas are a cross between turnips and cabbage, but the taste is milder than a turnip when raw. It has an earthy, slightly bitter, buttery and sweet-savory taste. Some have compared it to the taste of a Yukon Gold potato with a lot of attitude!
How to Prep
Prep for rutabaga home fries is very similar to potato home fries. Just scrub clean, peel, slice, cube, and shred the same way you would a potato.
Tip: Because a rutabagas outer layer can be a little difficult to peel, be sure to use a sharp vegetable peeler and a knife to remove some of the tougher parts.
How to Store
Rutabaga will keep fresh for months in a cool storage place. They store well in a reusable produce/plastic bag in the refrigerator. It is best to scrub clean right before using, not before storing.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make breakfast skillet rutabaga home fries:
- Colby Jack cheese shreds (vegan) *optional ingredient
Some recipe substitutions for rutabaga are:
- russet potatoes
- red potatoes
- blend of turnips and rutabaga
- red & green peppers
Cast iron skillet home fries are the best! Cast iron pans allow the ingredients you are cooking to brown without overly sticking to the pan or needing excessive amounts of oil.
Air fryers may also work well requiring even less oil, but I haven’t put this recipe to the test yet in an air fryer.
Spicy Rutabaga Breakfast Skillet Home Fries are best served alongside a fried egg if you allow eggs in your diet or with my Breakfast Tofu Scramble recipe.Print
Who can resist the taste of potato home fries in the morning! Since root vegetables are abundant in the winter season, why not make Spicy Rutabaga Breakfast Skillet Home Fries.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 rutabaga, peeled and small cubed
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 scallions, sliced white and greens
½ jalapeño, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp shredded Colby Jack cheese, plant-based cheese, Violife recommended
cilantro, 2 tablespoon chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add cubed rutabaga. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, cook, while continuing to stir until lightly browned. Add garlic, scallions, and jalapeños. Season with salt & pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes. (If making eggs – this is the time to cook them in a separate pan.) Stir in cheese and half of the chopped cilantro. Ready when the cheese has melted slightly.
- Serve alongside egg or scrambled tofu. Top it with fresh cilantro and your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick!
Keywords: rutabaga home fries, cast iron skillet home fries, root vegetable home fries, breakfast skillet home fries