This refreshing Celery Root, Carrot & Broccoli Slaw will make you feel like spring is here even when it’s not! Enjoy crispy raw vegetables blended with a creamy and delicious avocado dressing.
Are you looking for some celery root recipes? This one is super easy and delicious! Shred celery root, carrots, and broccoli blend with an avocado dressing for a delightful lunch salad or dinner side.
There are three main ingredients in the slaw – celery root, carrots, and broccoli. Avocado is needed for the creamy dressing.
- Celery root
- Broccoli stem
See recipe card for quantities.
I’m not kidding when I say this recipe is easy to make. It will be ready to eat In just 20 minutes (maybe even less), when using a food processor.
You can substitute a variety of root vegetables or fruit in this recipe:
- Citrus Fruits
Experiment and see what mix you like best!
Tip: Beets will bleed color into the salad so beware if blending into the salad. If plating, you can separate the beets out or just use them as a topping.
There are numerous ways to vary the taste of the salad.
- Spicy – add chili pepper flakes or diced jalapeño peppers
- Herbs – add basil, cilantro, or dill
- Lighter – apple cider vinegar and olive oil
It is best to make this recipe using a food processor with a shredding blade attached. If you don’t have one, it will take extra time either using a hand shredder or knife but it can be done.
This slaw salad is best eaten the day of, but you can refrigerate for one day in a well-sealed bowl. Because there is avocado in the dressing, it doesn’t hold well.
If making ahead of time, shred all of the slaw ingredients and refrigerate that for a few days. The dressing can be made at the most 24 hours earlier.
Don’t ever throw away broccoli stems! If you haven’t tried it yet, broccoli stems will become your favorite part of the broccoli. Just remove the stem from the crown and trim off the out layer, which is tough. You can use a vegetable peeler or a knife (my preference). Then you can slice or shred the stem to be used raw in salads or cooked in sauté.
Cooking with seasonal ingredients is healthy for you and for the environment. Learn how to eat seasonally and be more mindful of the ingredients you purchase by visiting The Mindful Fork for some tips!Print
Celery Root, Carrot & Broccoli Slaw with Avocado Dressing taste like spring is here even when it’s not! Enjoy crispy raw vegetables blended with a creamy and delicious avocado dressing.
- ½ cup celery root, (approx. ½ – 1 celery root)
- ½ cup carrots, shredded, (approx. 3 carrots)
- ¼ cup broccoli stem, shredded, (1 stem)
- ½ cup broccoli florets
1 garlic clove
1 small shallot
6 mint leaves (+ extra for garnish)
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
6 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Use a food processor with the shredding blade attached to prep the slaw ingredients.
- Clean the food processor and attach the knife blade. Place all dressing ingredients in the food processor except the oil and water. Process until somewhat smooth and slowly add vinegar, oil, and enough water for a creamy consistency.
- Blend the avocado dressing with the slaw ingredients. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Serve with a sprinkling of poppy seeds and chopped mint.
Tip: For a lighter version of this recipe (without avocado dressing), add a 3:1 vinaigrette ratio – 3 parts extra virgin olive oil & 1 part apple cider vinegar.
Keywords: slaw salad, celeriac, celery root recipe