Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Quinoa and Apricots is a delicious sweet & savory vegan recipe. The secret ingredient for the sweetness comes from the apricots – a last minute “add in” that gave the dish its unique flavor. Season with a few savory herbs and a drizzle of cashew cream and you will please every palate – not just the vegans!
When & where to buy acorn squash?
Starting with organic, fresh, locally grown acorn squash is the first step to making this a super healthy meal. The availability for acorn squash usually begins early fall but can be purchased throughout the winter months in most markets. You may have a difficult time finding it organic, deep into the winter season, but it’s still worth buying for all the nutritional benefits.
How healthy is acorn squash?
Acorn squash is rich in nutrients, such as fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. Acorn squash may promote overall health and protect against certain chronic conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
How do I prepare acorn squash?
The hardest thing about preparing acorn squash is cutting it open – just like many other winter squashes. Be sure to have a sharp knife to cut thru without too much of a struggle. It sometimes helps to cook it in the oven for about 10 minutes to soften it up a little. Hold it steady, with a dish towel and cut thru. Then scoop out the seeds and roast!
Quinoa Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash is a sweet & savory vegan recipe for roasted acorn squash. Topped with cashew cream, it will surely satisfy any palate!
1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight in 1 cup water
2 acorn squash, halved
olive oil spray
8 thyme sprigs
4 rosemary sprigs
4 garlic cloves
1 cup dry quinoa
1 3/4 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
10 dried apricots
1/4 cup pecans
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tablespoon sage, chopped
1/2 – 1 cup of garbanzo beans
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray each half with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Place separated piles on baking sheet – 2 sprigs of thyme, 1 garlic clove, 1 sprig rosemary – place cut side down of acorn squash over each pile. Place in oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- While acorn squash is roasting, rinse quinoa & toast in a pot, on medium heat, for 3 – 4 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cup of water, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf . Reduce heat, cover and cook until water is absorbed. Put aside.
- In a food processor, place apricots & pecans and pulse until finely chopped.
- Combine quinoa, apricot & pecan mix, fresh parsley & sage. Add salt & pepper to taste. Optional: mix in garbanzo beans.
- Take the cooked acorn squash out of the oven. Remove garlic & herbs. Stuff each squash individually and place back in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until heated through.
- Prepare the cashew cream – drain & rinse the cashews. Place in a blender with 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary. Optional: Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Plate the squash, drizzle cashew cream and serve.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, vegan roasted acorn squash, healthy stuffed acorn squash recipe