This Autumn Vegetable Lentil Soup is an easy last-minute soup to make. Most of the ingredients should be readily available in your refrigerator/pantry throughout the cold seasons. Combine all ingredients in a pot and you have a delicious and warming soup in only 30 minutes!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, cubed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt and a few grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup Autumn Blend Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup collard greens, stems removed and sliced thin (chiffonade)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- handful parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven. Add onion and simmer until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add leeks, celery, carrots, turnips, peppers, and garlic. Add spices, stir and cook for a few minutes until ingredients become fragrant.
- Add broth, potatoes, lentils, thyme and bay leaf. Stir in diced tomatoes and water. Let the soup simmer partially covered for 35 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf. Stir in collard greens and lemon juice. Cook an additional 5 minutes and serve topped with fresh chopped parsley.
Optional: You can omit cumin or curry or both from this recipe if those aren't favored spices.
Keywords: autumn blend lentil soup, curry lentil soup, vegan lentil soup