Mango Thai Tofu Recipe which my family named “Mango Thai-fu”, is a Thai Inspired Vegan Recipe. It is a sweet & spicy tofu recipe, made with fresh mango, tofu, Thai hot peppers, yellow peppers and Sea Beans. Occasionally, my son likes to challenge me with a new ingredient from the market and this week it was Sea Beans. I had seen it in the market before but I had never tasted or cooked anything with sea beans. I was so happy – the combination of sweet mango, coconut milk, tofu, spicy Thai hot pepper and the salty sea beans developed into a WINNER RECIPE!!
What are sea beans?
Wondering what sea beans are? Sea beans are halophytes, which means they only grow in salty environments. They are found growing in clusters along coastal waters and along the banks of salt marshes. Sea Beans are considered succulents and they can grow to be 12 inches in height.
Sea Beans are considered to be a delicacy in many areas. They are crispy with a salty flavor and can be eaten raw, steamed, boiled or sautéed.
Sea Beans are best when foraged in the late spring and summer months. They can be found at specialty and farmers markets. Sea beans can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks and frozen up to a month.
Are sea beans healthy?
Sea Beans are high in protein, with roughly 20 grams per one cup portion, calcium, riboflavin, iodine, magnesium, copper, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, potassium and dietary fiber. calcium, riboflavin, iodine (important for thyroid function), magnesium, copper, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, potassium and dietary fiber. Like anything though, I recommend eating it in moderation.Print
Mango Thai Tofu is a sweet & spicy,Thai inspired tofu dish. that satisfies both the sweet and savory taste buds.
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
1 block tofu, extra firm
1 shallot, minced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tablespoon curry
1 mango, peeled and cut into cubes
6 ounces coconut milk
1/2 cup sea beans, rinsed
1 garlic scape, diced
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon green curry paste
2 thai chili peppers, chopped
2 blocks, instant whole grain rice vermicelli
fresh basil, chopped
- Drain & press the tofu for about 10 minutes to remove any excess moisture. Cut tofu 1/2 in thick slices and then cut into bite size cubes.
- Prep all the ingredients. *After cutting mango into cubes, squeeze out any extra juice from the remaining flesh around the pit. Set aside.
- On medium flame, heat coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Gently place tofu in pan and cook until the individual pieces begin to turn light brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add shallots and cook for 5 minutes. Add yellow pepper, garlic and curry. Stir to combine.
- Gently stir in mango and mango juice. Pour in coconut milk. Add in garlic scape, ginger, green curry paste, thai chili peppers heat thoroughly.
- While flavors are blending, heat water for the vermicelli. Cook 2 blocks, according to directions.
- After tasting, season the mango thai-fu with salt & pepper. *see notes
- Serve in individual bowls layered over the vermicelli. Top with fresh basil.
- Sea beans are very salty so be sure to rinse them well and do not add additional salt to the dish unless you feel you need to after tasting it.
- I decided to add vermicelli to this dish but it’s also great without!
Keywords: sweet spicy tofu, tofu recipe, mango recipe vegan
sweet spicy tofu, tofu recipe, thai tofu recipe, coconut milk mango, mango recipe vegan