Most of us are looking for simple, easy & healthy recipes to eat during this very difficult time in our lives. With the Corona Virus hitting America so hard, we could certainly use some comfort food! How about some classic American favorites. Survey after survey showed similar results and guess what was on every list – burgers! So, I decided to create this Black Bean Burger Recipe which turned out to be super delicious and of course, nutritious. It’s also vegan and gluten-free!
Over the next few weeks, I will share re-makes of the TOP 10 American Foods found on most lists – pancakes, mac & cheese, french fries, pizza, chocolate chip cookies, spaghetti & meatballs, donuts, and cheesecake, s’mores and tacos. Since all of us are in the same boat, with limited ingredients, I will try to make them with as few ingredients as possible and easily stocked in a healthy pantry. Check out my post on how to stock a healthy pantry for some suggestions.
How to make Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
The first thing that has to be done is to make the quinoa. Simply follow the directions on the package to make 2 cups of quinoa which should take 15 minutes.
Next, sauté shiitake, onions, garlic and tomato in a pan with coconut oil (or if you prefer, olive oil).
Mix the sauté ingredients with smashed beans & quinoa. Form into patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Can I freeze the Black Bean Quinoa Burgers?
Yes, you can freeze the Black Bean Quinoa Burgers! Simply, place the baking sheet in the freezer to let the burgers firm up. Take the burgers out (about 2 hours later) and wrap them in the parchment paper. Place the frozen burgers in a plastic bag and lay flat in the freezer. They are good frozen up to 3 months!
Should I bake or to fry Black Bean Quinoa Burgers ?
It is a personal choice on whether to bake or fry the burgers. If you are trying to lighten up on the calories, I would recommend baking them in the oven at 375° for about 20 minutes. Otherwise, place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a non-stick fry pan and cook approximately 8 minutes on each side until crispy brown.
While the patties are cooking, prepare the avocado mixture. Place the patties on your favorite bun and enjoy!
Black Bean Quinoa Burger Recipe is super easy to make, economical, few ingredients and full of flavor. Great to make in large batches and freeze for future use also.
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 oz shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced small
8 grape tomatoes, quartered
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 ounce can black beans
1 egg equivalent with egg replacer (vegan) or 1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil
micro-greens or chopped kale
1 roasted red peppers, diced
hot pepper sauce *optional
6 burger buns
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Prep all ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoons coconut oil (med-low) in a fry pan and add shiitake mushrooms. In 5 minutes, add onions & garlic. Add tomato when onions are softened and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups quinoa in a medium bowl and mix in the sauté ingredients. Strain beans & rinse. Mash with a fork and then add to the bowl. Blend in egg, salt, and parsley.
- When thoroughly blended, form 6 patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a non-stick pan, and fry the patties approximately 7 minutes per side or bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Prepare avocado mixture – halve, scoop, mash and blend in cilantro, lime and salt.
- Place burgers on a bun and top with avocado mixture, micro-greens, diced roasted red pepper. Optional: hot sauce.
*I recommended using an ice cream scooper to measure out the patties so they are evenly sized – 2 large scoops per patty
Keywords: black bean quinoa burger, quinoa black bean burger gluten-free, vegan black bean burger recipe