Vichyssoise made with potatoes, cucumber and chives is a vegan twist on a classic French soup that is served cold. It is a light & refreshing soup, great to “slurp” on a hot summer day!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 seedless cucumber, peeled & cut into small chunks
2 garlic cloves
48 ounce container vegetable broth
salt & pepper to taste
1 handful chives, finely chopped
- Prep all of the ingredients and place in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Simmer on medium low for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes feel soft when pierced with a fork. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup to a blender, and process until smooth, in batches. Caution: Remove the top opening on blender to allow hot air to escape when blending – cover lightly with a dish towel to protect from splattering.
- Pour into a bowl, cool to room temperature on counter for 1/2 hour and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to cool completely.
- Serve in a bowl topped with chopped chives. (*optional: top with vegan sour cream)
Equipment required: Blender
*It also tastes good with non-diary milk added or topped with sour cream.
Keywords: cucumber soup vegan, chilled potato cucumber soup, cold soup recipe