Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe is made with chickpeas cooked in either an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker and blended with roasted garlic and roasted peppers for some extra flavoring.
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in 2-3 cups water
4 cups water
1 strip of Kombu
1 garlic head
1 teaspoon olive oil (for roasting garlic)
1 red pepper, roasted over flame, skin removed (or 1/2 roasted pepper, jarred)
3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2 large lemon juiced
- Drain the soaked beans and place in the Instant Pot with 4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 strip of Kombu.
- Place the lid on the pot, press the Beans/Chili button and set time to 20 minutes using the “-” sign on the panel (if beans weren’t soaked overnight, set to 40 minutes).
- while the beans are cooking, cut the top part off the garlic head and place it in a small piece of foil (or a garlic roaster) and drizzle the olive oil on top. Wrap the foil loosely around the garlic and roast at 350 for approximately 20 – 30 min. Remove when done and let it cool.
- Let the steam release for 15 minutes, then press the valve to release any of the pressure left. Remove the lid.
- Carefully lift out the pot and strain the beans over a large bowl or measuring cup to retain at least 1 cup of liquid.
- Add the beans to a food processor, along with the remaining ingredients – tahini, cilantro, cumin, paprika, cayenne, lemon juice and 1/2 roasted pepper. Squeeze the garlic out of 4 cloves and place in food processor. Add 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 cup bean liquid and blend until smooth.
- Place in a bowl, cover with olive oil and red chili pepper flakes.
*Important: retain bean cooking liquid after cooking, otherwise use vegetable broth
*Add the olive oil into the food processor when blending instead of drizzling on top
Equipment Needed For Recipe:
- Optional: Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker (otherwise container beans is good)
- Must Have: Food Processor
Keywords: hummus, vegan appetizer, chickpeas, instant pot recipe