This is a twist on the traditional Tuscan salad recipe, Panzanella Salad, but made with gluten-free bread that is toasted.
1 1/2 loaf of gluten-free bread (about 3 cups)
olive oil spray
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 english cucumber
3–4 large ripe red tomatoes
1 cup cherry tomatoes (sungold)
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
20 leaves fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp fresh garlic, chopped
3 tbsp champagne vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Cut the bread into cubes. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray with olive oil and season with garlic, salt & pepper. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- While bread is toasting, prep other ingredients. Peel, halve, seed & slice the cucumber. Cut the tomatoes into large chunks.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes. Thinly slice the red onions. Chop the basil.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Place all ingredients (except bread) in a large bowl and mixing thoroughly with the dressing.
- When ready to serve, add toasted bread to the serving bowl and gently stir in the tomato mixture. It is best to serve within a half hour of mixing.
- The traditional Panzanella is made with “stale” Italian Bread which is great also (no need to toast)
- Capers & Bell Peppers are another great addition to the recipe
Keywords: Panzanella, Gluten-Free, Italian Tomato & Bread Salad, Vegan, Vegetarian