Fiddleheads & Ramps lightly sautéed with shitake mushrooms and red & yellow peppers
4 oz fiddleheads
4 – 6 oz bunch ramps
1/4 red pepper
1/4 yellow pepper
2– 3 large shitake mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
- Clean & trim the fiddleheads – leaving 1 – 2 inches of the stem.
- Clean & trim the root tips off the ramps and gently pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the red & yellow peppers into cube size chunks.
- Trim just a little off the tip of the shitake mushrooms (only the dirty part – not losing too much of the stem), slice the mushroom & chop into smaller pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a non stick pan and add mushrooms. When slightly browned, add the peppers, garlic and s & p to taste. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan & set aside in a bowl.
- Steam the fiddleheads for approximately 5 – 7 minutes until tender crisp. (*While steaming fiddleheads – start sauté of the ramps)
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the same pan and place the ramps in the pan. Move them around gently in the pan to keep them whole while cooking for about 2 – 3 minutes until wilted.
- Add the steamed fiddleheads and cook until warmed. Add s & p to taste. Remove from the pan and plate with peppers & mushrooms mixture sprinkled over the top.
I recommend to have this as a side dish with grilled fish or marinated grilled tofu.
Keywords: Fiddleheads, Ramps, Vegetarian Side Dish