Fairy Tale Eggplant Sauté is a vegan dish made extra special with this seasonal eggplant. The sweetness from the eggplant and the combination of ingredients & spices blends well for a tasty dinner!
3.5 oz shitake mushrooms
1 – 2 shallots
1 roasted red pepper (jarred is fine)
1/2 yellow pepper
10 fairy tale eggplants
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp fermented chile paste **see note
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 13.4 oz container of garbanzo beans (chick peas), strained & rinsed
3–4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
- Clean, stem & slice the shitake mushrooms
- Peel shallots, chop finely
- Slice the red peppers into slivers
- Dice the yellow pepper
- Rinse the eggplants under running water. Dry, trim the top end (with the greens) and slice each lengthwise.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil to a non stick pan. Cook shitake mushrooms for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shallots and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove mushrooms & onions from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining (2 tbsp) oil to pan, and place eggplant in pan cut side down.
- Cook until slightly tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add in yellow peppers & garlic and cook another 2 -3 minute before adding mushrooms and onions back to pan.
- Add wet ingredients and stir gently.
- Add in chick peas and cook until all ingredients are blended & heated thoroughly. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped cilantro & serve!
*For a little extra kick add crushed red chili pepper flakes
**I use “Mother In Laws” Gochujang Fermented Chili Paste
***If fairy tale eggplant isn’t available, substitute with a different variety of eggplant and cut into cubes
Keywords: fairy tale eggplant, vegan, seasonal