Tofu Veggie Stir-Fry is an easy to make asian inspired meal. With the addition of arame, an asian sea vegetable, it is packed with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants.
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package tofu
1/4 cup arame
1 red pepper
2 large carrots
1 3.5 ounce package mushrooms (white beech or shiitake)
2 baby bok choy
3 green onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons shoyu
2 tablespoon Mirin rice cooking wine
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon mellow white miso paste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Start by preparing the rice first in an Instant Pot (or see package for cooktop directions). Place the rice, water and salt in the Instant Pot. Press the pressure cook button on the panel for Rice, cook 15 minutes, release the steam naturally for 10 minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork. Keep warm with cover on until stir-fry is done.
- Place tofu in a strainer with a weighted bowl to release some liquid from the tofu. Place the arame in a measure cup and cover with 1 cup water.
- Prep the ingredients: chop shallot, dice red pepper, slice carrot diagonally, trim ends of mushroom and cut into bite size pieces, slice bok choy crosswise and slice green onions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non stick pan (or wok). Cook the shallots for 2 minutes, add the red pepper, carrots and cook for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bok choy, green onions and cook an additional 7 - 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a covered bowl to keep warm.
- Strain & rinse arame well.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear the tofu on all sides. Add the shoyu, mirin, ginger and vegetable broth. Heat and remove 2 tablespoons of broth from pan, stir into a measuring cup with miso to dissolve. Add the vegetables that were set aside and the strained arame. Add miso & broth mixture to pan and stir thoroughly. Optional: Add chili pepper flakes to taste.
- Plate side by side in a bowl with rice (or on top). Top with chopped cilantro and serve.
I recommend using an Instant Pot for the rice. It will reduce the cooking time and also taste great!
Keywords: vegan tofu stir fry, bok choy stir fry, vegan bok choy recipe, tofu stir fry rice, arame seaweed recipe