Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is a fall favorite of mine throughout the season and for Thanksgiving. This is a great vegan/vegetarian version topped with
I Butternut Squash, large
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 large onion
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons Pepitas (punmpkin seeds)
1/4 tsp oil
2 - 3 tablespoons Pumpkin Seed Oil
3 sage leaves chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel and seed the butternut squash. Cut into cubes and put in a large bowl or measuring cup. It should be approximately 4 - 6 cups of butternut squash.
- Pour maple syrup and olive oil into the bowl and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt and stir.
- Spread on a lined baking sheet and roast in oven for approximately 45 minutes.
- While roasting, dice 1/2 onion and chop garlic.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil, add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and keep on heat for another 5 minutes without browning the garlic.
- Add 2 cups of water and 4 cups of vegetable stock to the pot. Add in the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and thyme.
- Simmer on low heat or set aside until the squash is ready. Add 4 cups of squash to the pot and cook on med-low heat for another 30 minutes. *
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. You can blend with a hand blender right in the pot. Or, ladle carefully into a blender (in batches 1/2 way filled & top open to let heat escape - but covered with a cloth). Blend until there are no more chunks and the soup is smooth.
- Set aside covered in a pot.
- Place Pepitas on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and a small sprinkle of cinnamon, salt and cayenne and toast in the oven at 275° for 5 - 7 min.
- Heat soup and add more water or vegetable stock to thin out to desired consistency. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with Pepitas, a drizzle of oil and some chopped sage.
*If there is more than 4 cups of squash, you can set aside for using in another recipe (see chef cindy's site for other ideas) or you can add to the soup and just add more water.
Keywords: Butternut Squash Soup, Vegan, Vegeatrian, Thanksgiving, Fall, Autumn