Quinoa Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash is a sweet & savory vegan recipe for roasted acorn squash. Topped with cashew cream, it will surely satisfy any palate!
1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight in 1 cup water
2 acorn squash, halved
olive oil spray
8 thyme sprigs
4 rosemary sprigs
4 garlic cloves
1 cup dry quinoa
1 3/4 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
10 dried apricots
1/4 cup pecans
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tablespoon sage, chopped
1/2 – 1 cup of garbanzo beans
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray each half with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Place separated piles on baking sheet – 2 sprigs of thyme, 1 garlic clove, 1 sprig rosemary – place cut side down of acorn squash over each pile. Place in oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- While acorn squash is roasting, rinse quinoa & toast in a pot, on medium heat, for 3 – 4 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cup of water, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf . Reduce heat, cover and cook until water is absorbed. Put aside.
- In a food processor, place apricots & pecans and pulse until finely chopped.
- Combine quinoa, apricot & pecan mix, fresh parsley & sage. Add salt & pepper to taste. Optional: mix in garbanzo beans.
- Take the cooked acorn squash out of the oven. Remove garlic & herbs. Stuff each squash individually and place back in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until heated through.
- Prepare the cashew cream – drain & rinse the cashews. Place in a blender with 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary. Optional: Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Plate the squash, drizzle cashew cream and serve.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, vegan roasted acorn squash, healthy stuffed acorn squash recipe