This is a delicious blend of roasted vegetables, steamed yucca root and braised bok choy over quinoa. It is topped with a vegetarian version of Kale Pesto and microgreens.
Kale Pesto Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups kale (lactino or green)
1 1/2 cups basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (*use vegan parmesan cheese)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 3/4 cup vegetable broth
freshly ground pepper
Roasted Vegetable Bowl Ingredients:
8 ounces red radishes, halved
8 rainbow carrots (assorted colors), sliced
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cleaned in a stainer
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 yucca root, cut into bite size chunks
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
12 ounces baby bok choy, 2 bunches, cleaned
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a food processor, combine kale, basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Pulse a few times and slowly add in olive oil & vegetable broth until desired consistency.
- Add the pesto to a small pot (or microwave) and heat for a few minutes. Makes about 1 1/2 cups of pesto. Refrigerate and save any leftovers.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, spread the carrots and radishes, drizzle with olive oil & 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Place in oven and roast for approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of dry quinoa into a slightly heated pot. Toast grain for a few minutes before adding the 1 3/4 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer & cook covered, for approximately 15 - 20 minutes, until all of the stock is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let sit covered.
- Steam the yucca root for 10 minutes (in a steamer basket or double boiler). When done, squeeze 1/2 lemon juice over cooked yucca root & sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Keep covered & set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, and braise the bok choy for approximately 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Set aside.
Place all of the ingredients, sectioned in a large bowl, and top it with a few micro greens and a drizzle of kale pesto.
*Vegan version can be made with vegan parmesan cheese
food processor, baking sheet, sauté pan, steamer, medium & small size pot
Although this requires many cooking supplies to prepare, it is well worth the clean up. You can always use store bought pesto for a short cut. And of course a microwave or instant pot can help to shorten the cooking time!
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter Buddha Bowl, Vegan Power Bowl, Quinoa Bowl