As the fall weather begins to set in, so do my cravings for soup or stew! Nothing beats winding down with a hearty, healthy, and warming bowl of Vegan Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Chili with Cornbread for dinner. It’s a great end-of-the-week meal!
Roasted Butternut Squash:
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed (approximately 6 cups)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 celery stick, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 container pinto beans (or black beans, kidney beans)
2 cups tomato puree (strained tomatoes) – start with 2 cups and add more if desired
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cilantro seasoning
1/2 tsp oregano
1 jalapeño, chopped
vegan sour cream
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup canola oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Prepare butternut squash by peeling & cutting into cubes.
- Mix in a bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil, maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender but firm.
- While roasting, prep the onions, peppers, celery, scallions, garlic, and cilantro. Drain beans.
- Heat a Dutch Oven or large pot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green and red peppers, celery, and garlic and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Season salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add beans, tomato puree, and crushed tomatoes. Stir in – chili powder, dried cilantro, and 1 tsp fresh jalapeño. Gently stir in Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and let flavors blend while cooking for 15 minutes. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Make cornbread – see link below for directions.
- If additional heat is desired, add more jalapeño. Serve in bowls topped with cheese, scallions, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and a side of cornbread.
All chili topping ingredients in this recipe are vegan but optional.
Directions for cornbread: See The Best Vegan Cornbread by Nora Cooks
Keywords: vegan butternut squash chili, vegan chili, butternut squash chili