Fennel, Apple & Cabbage Slaw Salad makes a delish and refreshing salad. It’s a great addition to any winter meal. Top it with pomegranates for a boost of antioxidants and a festive touch of color for the holiday!
1/4 head green cabbage
1 large fennel
2 tbsp fennel fronds
1 large crisp apple
1 cup pomegranate arils
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lime juice (or lemon)
1 tsp liquid sweetener – maple syrup, agave or honey (if not vegan)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Optional: 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (basil, mint, or cilantro)
- Thinly shred cabbage. (a mandoline slicer is recommended for best results).
- Remove bulb from fennel. Rinse fennel fronds, remove and set aside 2 tbsp chopped fronds. Cut the fennel bulb in half and slice thin.
- Core, peel and quarter the apple. Thinly slice the apple. Stack slices and cut into matchsticks reserving a few slices for garnish.
- Remove pomegranate arils (in bowl of water) and set aside 1 cup for the recipe.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients in a measuring cup.
- Place cabbage, fennel & apple in a large bowl and mix in the dressing, pomegranates, fronds and herbs.
- Serve topped with apple slices and fronds.
Tip: A mandoline slicer is recommended for cabbage, fennel, and apple but you can use a knife as well.
Note: You will have leftover pomegranates if using a whole pomegranate. Freeze remaining arils – best used within 3 months.
Keywords: apple fennel slaw, fennel cabbage slaw, fennel apple pomegranate salad