This is a vegan version of meatballs made with eggplant, cannellini beans, breadcrumbs and spices blended together, then baked in an oven.
1 Italian eggplant – peeled and cubed
1 shallot diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup plain (or Italian) breadcrumbs
Jar of Marinara Sauce (or homemade)
2 teaspoons vegan parmesan cheese
- Prep the eggplant, shallot, garlic and flax seed.
- Heat a non stick pan and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add shallot and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and eggplant and cook for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and let cook until soaked through and tender for ten minutes.
- Remove from pan (strain if still liquid) and place in food processor. Blend until pureed. Add cannellini beans and pulse until blended well.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and add flaxseed, salt, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon vegan parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs. Stir well until blended and firm to form meatballs. If more breadcrumbs are needed, simply add more to firm up the mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil. Use a small ice cream scooper (approximately 2 tablespoons) to form each meatball and place on baking sheet. When done spray with olive oil for a crisper meatball.
- Heat oven to 375° and cook for approximately 30 minutes turning halfway thru.
- Remove from oven and place on top of pasta with your favorite marinara sauce and chopped fresh basil. A sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese is also recommended for a finishing touch.
Equipment needed: food processor or blender
Keywords: eggplant meatballs, vegan meatballs, vegan eggplant meatballs