This easy Shakshuka Recipe has simple ingredients but is bold with its flavor!
1 jar prepared tomato sauce
1 cup arugula leaves
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
4 slices fresh bread
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
red pepper flakes, optional
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat an oven to 325°. Pour the sauce in 4 mini cast iron skillets (or 1 large) and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the poached eggs, and nestle them into the sauce along with arugula leaves. (*See Notes if using large skillet).
- Heat in the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until desired time for the egg to be cooked hard or runny (it is recommended to leave it a little runny in this recipe).
- Mince the garlic cloves. Mix with olive oil and spread on slices of bread to toast.
- Top each serving with salt & pepper, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes. Serve with toast.
*If using a large skillet, crack the eggs individually into a separate bowl, and pour into created pockets to nestle them in the sauce. Heat to set in pan, then place in oven at 325 until done.
- Serving Size: 1 Petite Skillet
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 803 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9 g
- Protein: 9.9 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
Keywords: shakshuka vegetarian, shakshuka for one, shakshuka easy