There are two foods I can't live without, bread and cheese. Add in a glass of wine and I'm in heaven! SO how do I manage a vegan diet without cheese - I must admit it's a struggle. I am continually on the hunt for vegan cheeses that can match up to the flavors I crave like - 90 day Aged Manchego, Smoked Truffle Gouda, Creamy Brie or Drunken Goat Cheese. The flexitarian side of me has me indulge once in a while but my eco-conscious mind has me making Vegan Cheddar Cheese!
The vegan cheese market has improved over the past few years but so far nothing beats the taste of homemade "nut" cheese. You can use a variety of nut or grain milks to make cheese but I love the taste almond milk the most. Try this recipe and you too will agree!
How to make Vegan Cheddar Cheese
First, in order to make Vegan Cheddar Cheese you need to start with making your own nut milk. The process is relatively easy but if you are short on time, you can use store bought nut milk. My favorite is Pacific Foods brand but 365 Whole Foods brand works well also. When making nut milk, I always recommend making more than you need in your recipe. The remaining amount can always be incorporated utilized in other recipes.
Then mix and heat a few ingredients for thickening and flavor - agar flakes, arrowroot, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, oil, vinegar and sea salt.
Pour the mixture into Silpat molds, refrigerate for 30 minutes, pop out of mold and use in a recipe.
Leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When in need for cheese again, defrost for 1 hour in refrigerator and you are ready to enjoy!
If you want slices, pour the mixture into a heat proof glass dish, refrigerate for 30 minutes, slice and serve.
Try out this recipe and make a Vegan Roasted Shiitake BLT with Cheddar Cheese!Print
Vegan Cheddar Cheese Recipe is a healthy alternative to milk based cheddar cheese. It is delicious to use in soups, sandwiches and salads.
1 1/2 cups almonds, soaked overnight
4 cups water
6 tablespoons agar flakes
6 tablespoons arrowroot
3 tablespoons chickpea flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup neutral oil (canola)
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Strain and rinse soaked almonds. Place in a high speed blender with 4 cups water and process for 90 seconds.
- Pour thru a nut milk bag into a measure cup to remove pulp. Set aside pulp for other uses.
- In a medium pot, add 2 cups almond milk and agar. Bring to a boil, reduce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (arrowroot, flour, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder) in a medium bowl. In a measuring cup mix 1 cup almond milk, oil and vinegar and whisk into the dry ingredients.
- Add starch blend to the agar mixture and cook on low heat for 3 - 5 minutes until it has thickened. Poor into silicone molds (or scoop) and refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
Keywords: vegan cheese recipe