Mac & Cheese is voted one of America’s top favorite foods. Study after study showed it within the top 10! Is it because it goes so well with burgers & hot dogs – more of America’s favorite foods? Or is it America’s love of cheese? Whatever the reason, it was my desire to make a healthier version of it since it is loved by many.
Check out my post on how to select, cut and roast butternut squash.Print
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is a creamy & delicious vegan version of Mac & Cheese. It is loaded with extra healthy ingredients including nutritional yeast and kale!
1 pound pasta, cooked
1 medium butternut squash, peeled & cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup tahini
1 cup vegetable broth or oat milk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 cups chopped fresh kale (put aside 2 tablespoons and chop fine for topping)
- Preheat oven 375°.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with olive oil and salt. Spread butternut squash on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for approximately 30 minutes, shifting around halfway through.
- While roasting, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small fry pan and add chopped onion. When softened, add the garlic and cook 2 – 3 more minutes. Add the kale and cook until wilted.
- Combine the butternut squash and onion & kale mix to a food processor. Add tahini, broth or plant-based milk and blend until smooth.
- After straining the pasta, mix all the ingredients together in the same pot and stir until well blended. Heat and add additional salt & pepper if needed.
- Top with 2 tablespoons freshly chopped kale.
- Equipment needed: baking sheet, food processor
- Pasta: I used Cavatelli Pasta but any shape/type will do
Keywords: butternut squash mac and cheese, vegan kale mac and cheese